The No Scalpel Vasectomy
This is not your father’s generation vasectomy, where large incisions were made and you would be bedridden for at least a week. The no scalpel vasectomy is associated with very little to no discomfort and takes about 7 minutes to complete. Valium will help you relax and minimize any discomfort. The lidocaine is injected with a tiny needle. If you would like your wife or significant other to be present in the room during the procedure, that is not a problem.
Why a Vasectomy vs. Tubal Ligation or Birth Control Pills?
- Much less expensive
- Covered by most health insurance plans
- Simple office procedure (vs. general anesthesia in the hospital for a tubal ligation)
- Fast recovery
- Excellent success rate (failure rate of about 1 in 2000)
- Allows your wife to discontinue birth control pills
- Much less discomfort than a tubal ligation
- Does not affect your libido or erectile function